while eating a warm homemade doughnut,
dunked into a cup of hot coffee.
Apple Cider Spice Donuts
packed brown sugar
apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each:
ground nutmeg, allspice, and cloves
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, beat packed brown sugar, eggs, salt and spices. Beat until thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the cooled melted butter, then beat in the apple cider.
- Combine flours, baking powder and baking soda. Add to batter, beat just until blended. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Divide dough in half.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, pat into 1/2 inch thickness, cut with a floured 2-1/2 inch doughnut cutter, repeat with remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry doughnuts, 2 or 3 at a time, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar.