On the Menu Today~
Tater Tot Casserole
This is a can can recipe.
What exactly does that mean?
Well, a can can recipe, is a recipe
that uses two or more cans of condensed soup.
I have been using condensed soup in recipes since I started cooking, many years ago.
My mom used condensed soup and I think my grandma did too.
I know that there are some people who turn up their nose at the thought of using canned condensed soup..if you have the time and money to make your own version of condensed soup,
then by all means, knock yourself out! In fact, send me some, I’d love to try it but let’s face it,
there is a reason why Campbell’s soup has been in business for all of these years…
Here are just a few reasons:
4. Always creamy and delicious
Have you ever really looked at all of the varieties of Campbell’s creamed soup!
Campbell’s makes over 70 varieties of creamed soup….
from cream of asparagus soup to cream of shrimp soup and
everything in between…..creamed soups are here to stay.
I for one am glad because every now and then,
all you want for dinner is a good ol’ fashioned casserole or bake dish or
hot dish…depending on where you live.
Tater tot casserole has got to be one of those casseroles that everyone has had,
at least once in their life….
Either your mom made it, your grandma made it,
a childhood friends mom made it, or you ate it in the school cafeteria.
After all, tater tot casserole has been around forever!
This is my families version on the classic;
Tater Tot Casserole.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 to 3 pounds
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can green beans (Cut, French-style or Italian-style)
2 cans (10 1/2 oz each)
condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1- 32 ounce package tater tots
- 2 cups
shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion, season with salt and pepper to taste and garlic powder, drain off fat. Spread the beef in the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish.
- Drain the can of green beans. Spoon vegetables over the meat.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the cans of soup over the top of the vegetables and meat. Arrange a layer of tater tots over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, bake an additional 15 minutes.