Who doesn't like Elephant Ears...
Those crispy, crunchy, sweet, cinnamony,
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/8 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F. Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in flour to make a dough, knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- In a large, heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough into 1 to 2 inch balls. Shape or roll dough into thin, round discs. Fry discs, 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Sprinkle over warm pastries. Serve.