Banana Date Oat Muffins
Banana Date Oat Muffins
This recipe was made in the months of muffin mania madness. More specifically, during the “stay at home” order that was in effect and still is in some places. Banana Date Oat Muffins are perfect for a quick grab-n-go breakfast. Easy, flavorful and moist. If your family are not fond of dates, substitute golden raisins or dried cranberries.
It’s hard to believe that it’s Memorial Day weekend! A weekend that usually signals the end of the school year and the start of summer vacation. Our god-son Erik, graduated from high-school this year. We had made plans to attend his graduation in South Dakota. But like so many plans, the COVID-19 pandemic changed that.
For the high-school graduates of 2020, graduation was far from spectacular. A walk through an empty auditorium, a walk across an empty stage to receive your diploma. So sad! Erik was valedictorian of his class and is on his way to Minnesota. He’ll attend summer classes at the University of Minnesota, where he’ll be attending college this fall. Your future awaits you Erik!
UP NEXT: Maple and Peanut Butter Blondies
More Muffin Madness Recipes
- Blackberry Lime Sourdough Muffins
- Oatmeal Scotchie Muffins
- Carrot Raisin Sourdough Muffin
- Savory Onion Muffins
Dr. Oetker Vanilla Sugar
In 1891, Dr. August Oetker developed baking powder (Backen in German means, “to bake”) at his pharmacy in Bielefeld, Germany. Thanks to the quality of ingredients used, Dr. Oetker was able to guarantee housewives perfect baking results every time. Throughout the years, the company has published recipe booklets and printed recipe suggestions on the packaging. to help cooks get better “acquainted” with this new ingredient.
More than a century later, baking powder remains an invaluable ingredient in kitchens around the world. Dr. Oetker went on to develop more products. Pudding mixes, baking mixes and vanilla sugar are all extremely popular. For example, vanilla sugar is used extensively in baking, more so than extracts, in European countries. Vanillin-Zucker can be purchased on Amazon.
A family-run business, Dr. Oetker ranks among the leading brand manufacturers in the German food industry. Vanilla sugar is most often used as a flavored sweetener in baked goods. It can be used as a finishing touch when sprinkled on warm cakes, pies and cookies. Likewise, vanilla sugar is a great addition to frostings, whipped cream and my favorite, smoothies. One teaspoon of vanilla extract is equivalent to one teaspoon vanilla sugar.
Banana Bran Oat Muffins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar, optional
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 to 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, optional
- muffin pan
- jumbo muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat sugar and butter together in a bowl. Beat in mashed bananas, beaten eggs and vanilla extract.
- Sift together all dry ingredients and fold into banana mixture. Stir in coconut or almond milk just until moistened.
- Fold in oatmeal, dates, sliced almonds or any extra ingredients you like.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.