We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Perfect for Christmas Morning! If you’re wanting to make something memorable for Christmas morning, this recipe will pass the test. Made with 2-30 ounce cans of whole purple plums, plum kuchen can be made anytime. Aldi recently had 30 oz. cans of plums on sale for .89¢ per can. Being the type of person that I am, I purchased six cans. (You never know when you might need a can of whole purple plums!) I’m so glad I did because plum kuchen is so good. I’ve made two already! The orange zest in this recipe matches perfectly with the plums making for an unforgettable coffee cake.
What is Kuchen?
Kuchen [KOO-khehn] is a fruit or cheese filled yeast-raised cake, usually served for breakfast but also as a dessert. It originated in 🇩🇪 Germany but is now enjoyed in many variations throughout much of Europe and the 🇺🇸 United States. The word Kaffeekuchen is German for “coffee cake.”
Merry Christmas Everyone~
- 1 1/2 cups
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 large
- 2 (30 oz) cans
whole plums, drained, pitted and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and allspice. Whisk together. Cut in 4 tablespoons cold butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine milk, almond extract, and egg in a small bowl, whisk together. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spray 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Arrange plums in a circular pattern over batter.
- Combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, orange zest and allspice in a small bowl, stirring well. Microwave 3 tablespoons butter until butter melts, stir into sugar mixture. Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over plums.
- Bake at 425º for 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool in pan 1 hour.
- Remove sides from springform pan.