Homemade Corn Dogs A Carnival Classic
Homemade Corn Dogs
If you like corn dogs you are going to love this recipe. Not only are these corn dogs delicious they aren’t as intimidating to make as you might think.
The batter is easy to make and comes together quickly. I think the batter is what makes these corn dogs so special.Plus the batter is what makes the corn dogs taste exactly like the corn dogs your get at the fair. Homemade Corn Dogs are best served with ketchup and mustard on the day they’re made.
Corn Dogs are a carnival and fair classic. Who hasn’t had a corn dog at the carnival, state fair or at the ball park. Funnel Cakes might be considered the
“Queen of the Fair” but Corn Dogs are considered the “King of the Fair.” Adults and kids of all ages love corn dogs. Just as baseball games, hot dogs and cracker jacks go together, corn dogs and state fairs go together too. Corn Dogs are a Carnival Classic and have been for a very long time.
Popular Fair Foods
Homemade Corn Dogs
- 1 10 count package hot dogs of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 10 wooden sticks or skewers
- 2 quarts vegetable for frying
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the beaten egg, buttermilk, oil and honey. Stir until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Remove hot dogs from package. Wipe all of the hot dogs dry with paper towels.
- (This will allow the batter to adhere to the hot dogs)
- Insert one wooden stick into each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass.
- Holding by the wooden stick, take one hot dog and dunk it into the batter, coating all of the hot dog.
- Slowly remove from batter and let a little excess batter drip back into the glass.
- Immediately place into hot oil.
- Turn as necessary to brown all sides.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until all sides are deep golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.