Blueberry Pie with Homemade Filling
Blueberry Pie and Happy Valentine’s Day
Make Your Own
Make Several Kinds
The recipe given here Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling is for 1 quart. I doubled the recipe and made 2 quarts of pie filling, which is an usual amount to make, I know. I like to have 2 quarts of several different kinds of fruit pie fillings on hand such as: blueberry, cherry, peach, blackberry, apple and pear-cranberry. Instead of having six of the same kind of pie filling in the pantry, I like a variety.
This is our personal preference. If you have a large family, have access to large amounts of blueberries or you simply love blueberry pie filling and bake often by all means make as many quarts as you want…hey knock yourself out! Here’s a little secret, if you do decide to make your own fruit pie filling, you can make a home-made pie in the dead of winter too.
Canned Works Too
Blueberry Pie with Decorative Crust
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust, 2 crusts
- 1 quart homemade blueberry pie filling OR
- 1 21 oz can blueberry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Unroll one pie crust, place in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Flute the pie crust edges.
- Spoon blueberry pie filling into pie crust.
- Unroll second pie crust, using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut out as many shapes as possible.
- Place heart shaped cutouts on top of blueberry filling in a decorative pattern.
- Whisk together egg and water.
- Brush egg mixture on crust cutouts and decorative crust. Sprinkle sugar over the top of the pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and blueberry filling is bubbly.