Cranberry Bratwurst Bites in Cranberry Jezebel Sauce
Cranberry Bratwurst Bites are smothered in a sweet, tart, sassy sauce called, Cranberry Jezebel Sauce. Cranberry Jezebel Sauce is exactly as the name suggests Sweet, Tart, Sassy, Fruity and Spicy…Just like Jezebel herself. For this recipe we used cranberry bratwurst from our favorite grocery store located in Rhinlander WI called Trigs.
What is Jezebel Sauce?
Cranberry Jezebel Sauce gets its sweetness from both granulated and dark brown sugar, tartness comes from the whole cranberries, the sassy flavor comes from Bee Sting Irish Whiskey, fruity flavor from seedless blackcurrant preserves and last but not lest, the spiciness comes from the prepared horseradish and Dijon mustard. This ingredient list might sound somewhat strange but believe you me, the end result is fantastic.
If you can’t find cranberry bratwurst in your area, use your favorite bratwurst or your favorite sausage links. You can also substitute meatballs if your not a fan of bratwurst or sausage links. Even cocktail wieners will work. Ground venison meatballs or ground duck meatballs work fantastic in this recipe. In fact, any game meat works great with cranberry Jezebel sauce. Heck, everything is better in Cranberry Jezebel Sauce!!
- 1 pound
cranberry bratwurst (Trigs Smokehouse)
- water to cover
- 1 cup
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup packed
dark brown sugar
- 1 (12 oz) bag
fresh or frozen cranberries (Cape Cod Select Cranberries)
- 2 measures Irish Whiskey (Paddy Bee Sting Irish Whiskey), optional
- 1/2 cup
seedless, blackcurrant preserves (Lowell)
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon
- pinch of
- toothpicks for
- Place water and sugars in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries, return mixture to a boil, the reduce heat and simmer stirring often for 10 minutes. Cranberry skins should be popped and the mixture will thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in preserves, horseradish, mustard and pinch of salt. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes.
- Prepare bratwurst: In a medium saucepan, add water and bratwurst. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Brown bratwurst in a large skillet until browned on all sides and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bratwurst from skillet to a serving plate, let cool. When bratwurst are cool enough to handle, slice into 2-inch slices. Return bratwurst pieces back to skillet, add cranberry Jezebel sauce. Heat just until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve bratwurst in sauce.