*Note: If using frozen berries, do not thaw before folding in. Muffins can be made in a regular muffin tin also.

Sourdough Battered Fried Frog Legs Looking for a new and different way to use your sourdough starter? This recipe for sourdough battered fried frog legs should fit the bill.

sourdough blueberry muffins

Health Note: Dairy foods such as nonfat milk and low-fat yogurt often contain bone-building nutrients like vitamin D and calcium. Be sure to read labels and compare to get the best bone benefits in every bite~

Made this recipe? Be sure to share it on Instagram and follow Turnips 2 Tangerines for all the latest

Comments

• Lynn says

Hi Angie,
      Thanks for dropping by. I’ve never heard of flax egg but I’m curious about this new to me item. As of late I’ve been putting milled or ground flax seed in just about everything I eat, so if you try this recipe with flax egg, please let me know:) Lynn

1. Sherry says

I made once as regular size muffins and am now trying them as mini muffins for a ladies get together. I used a high grade lemon essential oil instead of the lemon zest. Very good. Thanks for the recipe. I am sharing it at the party.

• Lynn says

Hi Sherry,
      I am so glad you liked the recipe. Its one of our favorites:) I never thought to made these into mini-muffins! My grandkids love anything “mini” I’ll need to make mini muffins for them on their next visit. Lynn

2. Lucy carter says

Oh so I made these and followed the steps exactly but they came out not sweet at all, could 1/2 cup of brown sugar really be enough? Maybe the sugar amount should be 1.5 cups?

• Lynn says

Hello Lucy,
      You can certainly add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter muffin. Generally when using fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries) I like a less sweet muffin but it’s really a personal preference. Thanks for stopping:) Lynn

3. Lyanne says

These turned out amazing, I made them into regular size muffins, as I don’t have a large muffin tin, I cooked them for 20 mins and they where so good. I am new to sourdough recipes but I will be making these again.

• Lynn says

Hi Lyanne,
      I’m so glad you liked the muffins. That recipe is one of our most popular recipe on T2T. I’m relatively new to sourdough myself, but if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I stated with scones and muffins, which always seem to turn out! Lynn

4. Julia says

I used 2 cups of starter, omitted the water and lemon zest and used 1 c of rye flour I wanted to use up (instead of 2 ap). Tangy and delicious!

• Lynn says

Hi Julia,
      Thanks for stopping by. This is one of my favorite recipes. I’m glad to hear you liked the muffins. I’ll bet the rye flour added texture and a nice flavor to the muffins:) Lynn

5. Kelly says

Can I replace the vegetable oil for a healthier oil in this recipe? If so, what type would you suggest? They look so delicious

• Lynn says

Hi Kelly,
      Thanks for stopping by! You could replace the oil with applesauce or sunflower oil or any of the “healthier” oils on the market such as canola.
      Have a good week. Lynn

6. Liz says

Hi! Looking forward to trying this recipe out. At what stage is your starter when measuring 1cup? I e only ever used weights when measuring starter. Active or inactive?
    Thanks!
    Liz

• Lynn says

Hi Liz,
      Use an active starter. I keep my starter at the consistency of a pancake batter.
      Hope your enjoy your muffins:) Lynn

7. Laura says

Great recipe. I used whole wheat sourdough starter, used all bran instead of flour, I didn’t have zest so I used a bit of lemon juice and it turned out amazing! Even the kids love it.

• Lynn says

Hi Laura,
      Sourdough Blueberry Muffins is one of our favorites and most popular recipe on Turnips 2 Tangerines.
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Lynn

8. Rashmi says

Thank you for a winner! I have made these muffins several times and they are melt in your mouth delicious! Probably the best blueberry muffin recipe I have ever made. Now that it’s fall, I would love to modify this recipe to turn it into a sourdough pumpkin muffin. How would you go about doing this? Thank you!

• Lynn says

Hi,
      Thanks so much for stopping by Turnips 2 Tangerines.
      I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. It’s one of my favorites also. As for adding pumpkin, I personally think it would be best to use a recipe specifically for pumpkin and sourdough muffins. This recipe could become too wet, therefore the muffins becoming to dense. I will try to post a pumpkin sourdough muffin recipe within the next few weeks:) Thanks again, Lynn

9. Lorraine Wilkie says

We picked fresh blueberries every summer as a child, my mother would make blueberry sourdough muffins. Haven't had these in decades, can't wait to get a jar of started going and whip up a batch for the grand kids. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

10. Anonymous says

I was wondering why you don't add the flour in to the starter the night before so it can sour. I thought the purpose of a good sourdough was for the starter to eat up the phytic acid in the flour as well as some of the sugars. Would that work for the recipe?

• LNLVNDR says

I think what you are referring to is a "biga" which is used mostly in Italian cooking. A "biga" adds light air holes to baked good, like you would find in ciabatta bread, therefore that won't work in this recipe. The sourdough starter used in this recipe is made by "feeding" the starter with water and flour after you discard half of the starter first. This process is done depends on how often you use your starter. This is what produces the "sour" Thanks for stopping by, Lynn

• Erica says

I added everything except for the oil, baking soda, and salt, and let it sit in my refrigerator overnight to ferment. In the morning, I mixed the remaining ingredients and baked them. They turned out perfectly fine. I am borderline diabetic and have been told the longer fermentation times will help keep my sugars more stable? Not sure if that is totally true. You can’t believe everything you read on the internet 🙂 I do know the long ferment works on this recipe though!

• Lynn says

Hi Erica,
        Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m so glad you like the recipe, as it’s one of my favorites and is one of our most popular recipes. I recently found out that I’m borderline diabetic, so I’ll be doing some research on it. My doctor told me that drinking apple cider vinegar, three times a day will help lower blood sugars?!? We’ll see:) Lynn

11. Cortney Ives says

I used 3/4c chunky jam instead of the berries I didn't have on hand, and reduced the water about 1/4c to make up for the wetness. My muffins cam out fluffy with little chunks of fruit and strong fruit flavor throughout. Thanks for the recipe.

12. wendy says

Thank you for a great recipe using leftover starter! It turned out perfect, delicious and the house smells heavenly! I substituted 1 C of gluten free pancake mix for a cup of all purpose flour. (I usually have pamelas, but used King Arthur today)

13. Carole says

Sourdough muffins – a new one to me – bet they taste delicious – my favourite muffin is blueberry, cream cheese and white chocolate – not good for me so I don't do it often. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

• LNLVNDR says

Hi Carole~ If you have never tried sourdough muffins, you need to give them a try~ Thanks for stopping by and blueberry, cream cheese and white chocolate sounds wonderful to me:)