We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Garlic Rosemary Focaccia Bread
This tasty and traditional Italian bread is wonderful with a big bowl of steaming, hot soup or a big plate of pasta topped with tomato meat sauce. Anyway you choose to eat focaccia is the right way! Make it an Italian Dinner night at your house tonight and serve garlic rosemary focaccia bread with Bacon and Tomato Spaghetti. Don’t forget the Chianti.
What is Focaccia?
Focaccia [foh-KAH-chyah] This 🇮🇹 Italian Bread begins by being shaped into a large, flat round that is liberally brushed or drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Skits cut into the dough’s surface may be stuffed with fresh rosemary before the bread is baked. Focaccia can be eaten as a snack, or served as an accompaniment to soups or salads.
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups
- 2 packages
active dry yeast
- 1 cup (120 to 130 F)
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon
snipped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon
dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 cup (4 oz)
shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups flour and yeast. Add water, oil, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Stir in minced garlic cloves, snipped fresh rosemary, oregano and pepper. On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic 8 to 10 minutes total. Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Punch dough down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Press dough into pan. (If dough is sticky, sprinkle the surface with about 1 tablespoon additional flour) Using your fingertips, make several deep indentations in the dough. Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 30 minutes)
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Serve warm with butter or marinara sauce