Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
Usual Cast of Characters
In this recipe you will also find the usual cast of characters if you will, that are often included in Sweet and Sour Chicken. Pineapple chunks, green pepper strips, and rice wine vinegar. This recipe leans more towards the sweet than to the sour. Depending on how you like your sweet and sour chicken you may want to add more vinegar to this recipe. Upwards to a 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar should be sufficient.
- 8 medium skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks, juice packed, reserve juice
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice or water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 dried red peppers
Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until browned. If necessary, brown chicken in batches. Transfer chicken to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Drain pineapple well, reserving 2/3 cup juice. Spoon pineapple chunks and green pepper strips evenly over chicken in dish; set aside.
For sauce; in a medium saucepan whisk together the reserved pineapple juice, the cranberry sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, orange marmalade, orange juice or water, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, dried red peppers and ginger. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Pour over chicken, pineapple and green pepper in dish.
Bake, covered in a 350º oven for 45 minutes. Uncover, bake 15 minutes longer.
Serve with rice
- 1 cup extra long grain rice
- 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon
oil or butter
- Make rice: In a 2-quart saucepan, combine rice, water, salt and oil or butter. Stir lightly: bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
Bean and Beef Enchilada Bake is another sensational casserole or ‘bake’ that you’ll want to make. Take a trip around the world in recipes.
Serve Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken on Riceland Long Grain Rice