Top O' the Morning to Ya~
My heritage is German and Dutch.
My German heritage comes from my Dads side of the family.
My Dutch heritage comes from my Moms side of the family.
We're Hollanders, my Grandma would say.
In my family we didn't celebrate St Patty's Day for obvious reasons.
My first husband and father of my 2 kids, is Irish.
His Irish heritage comes from his Moms side.
This means that my children are Irish.
For that reason, we always celebrated St Patrick's Day.
When my kids were in grade school,
I always made sure they were "wearing of the green" on St Patty's Day.
I pinned their "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" button to their winter coats.
I would make them shamrock cookies and put them in their lunch boxes, along with lime jello.
On our way home from school, we would stop and pick up Shamrock Shakes.
For my kids,
March 17th also meant that they would be going to their "Irish Grandma's" house.
For a traditional St. Patrick's Day Irish Dinner of Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Each year off they'd go,
To eat an Irish Dinner, listen to Irish music and
Celebrate their Irish heritage.
I have never made Corned Beef and Cabbage, in fact,
I don't think I have ever eaten Corned Beef and Cabbage!
I have made Colcannon, which I love.
The best recipe I have ever made for Colcannon is from Tyler Florence.
This recipe is delicious!
I have made Irish Soda Bread many times but
This year I wanted to make Irish Soda Bread Scones
I wanted to make them in my new cast iron wedge pan.
They turned out delicious and boy, do I love my new wedge pan...
~taitneamh a bhaint as~
Irish Soda Bread Scones~
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 packets sugar substitute
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 T cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease a cast iron wedge pan
- Place in heated oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl,
- Combine the flours, sugar packets, baking soda and salt;
- Cut in cold butter.
- Stir in buttermilk, just until moistened.
- Fold in currants.
- Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times.
- Carefully remove cast iron pan from oven and
- Carefully spread batter into the wedge pan.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or
- Until toothpick inserted in scone comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Cool scones in pan 5-10 minutes.
- Remove scones from pan and cool on wire rack
Irish, Soda Bread, Bread Scones,
Health Note: You're heard of omega-3 fatty acids, and you may know that tuna is a super source. Omega-3's are a special kind of heart-smart fatty acid that helps reduce the risk of heart disease~