Copper Pennies or Sweet and Sour Carrot Salad
A vintage or retro recipe. An oldie but goodie!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup vegetables oil
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon each salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Peel, slice, and boil carrots in boiling water until crisp tender, not mushy.
Drain. Cool slightly.
In a medium glass bowl, layer carrots and onions.
Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Pour over carrots and onions.
Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.