Valentine Sandwich Cookies
Valentine Sandwich Cookies
Valentine Sandwich Cookies with Peppermint Frosting Filling are the perfect cookies to serve your sweetie on Valentine’s Day. This cookie dough is basically a sugar cookie dough with the volume turned up. The dough is divide in half and one half is tinted with red food coloring. The half with the added food coloring also has peppermint extract added to it that gives it a nice minty flavor that isn’t overpowering.
Valentine sandwich cookies are two-toned cookies with a delicious twist. Instead of frosting the cookies with a cool mint frosting, the cookies are ‘filled’ with the peppermint frosting. That’s right! After the cookies are baked and allowed to cool. The cookies are then turned over and a thin or thick layer of frosting is spread on the flat side. The two cookies are pressed together and the frosting becomes the filling!
The peppermint frosting used to hold the cookies together is a super smooth, creamy and minty frosting. I’ve made this frosting many times before. Another favorite way to use this minty frosting is to top a pan of chocolate walnut brownies. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candies on the frosting and you’ll have a yummy pan of brownies.
Here’s another recipe suggestion; make a boxed devils food cake mix, divide batter between two 9-inch round cake pans. Bake according to package directions. Once cooled, frost cake with peppermint frosting and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. So good! Peppermint frosting does wonders to a plate of holiday sugar cookies too.
Valentine Sandwich Cookies with Peppermint Frosting Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and egg; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder and salt to sugar mixture, mix well. Divide dough in half; refrigerate one half, covered. To the other half of dough, add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and red food color to desired color. Refrigerate at least 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 400º.
- On lightly floured surface, roll 1/3 of white dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with 1/3 of pink dough. Using floured 1-inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut center from each pink and white cookie. Remove centers, replace each center in cookie of opposite colored dough. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 400º for 5 to 9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack.
- Make Peppermint Frosting Filling
- With electric mixer cream butter, cream cheese and peppermint extract. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk as needed. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Spread one cookie flat bottom with peppermint frosting filling. Top with the flat bottom of another cookie.*see photos*
More Valentine’s Day Treats
*For this recipe we used peppermint extract from Watkins