Sweet Potato Sweetie Pie Bars
Sweetie Pie Bars
Over the past 3 weeks, I’ve seen Krusteaz Sweet Potato Pie Mix at 3 different grocery stores. In all three stores there was a shopping cart with a “sale” sign with at least 15 boxes of Krusteaz sweet potato pie mix. This got me thinking?? Either the grocery stores needed the shelf space for a more summery dessert mix or the dessert mix was sent too late or people don’t want to make a sweet potato dessert in the summertime. Whatever the reason, is anyone’s guess.
Dessert Pie Mix
I decided to take a look at the dessert mix, so I picked up a box and read the directions. It seemed easy enough, so I checked the price and date on the box. The date read 08/11/2018, so the mixed wasn’t expired and the price… .99¢. Well ok, I’ll bite! On the back of the box there was a recipe for Sweetie Pie Bars, I read on. I only needed a few extra ingredients to make the bars, which I already had, so Sweetie Pie Bars it is.
If you don’t like using box mixes, this recipe is easily adaptable to your favorite pumpkin bar recipe. Don’t have a favorite pumpkin bar recipe? Use ours: Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. Follow the recipe for pumpkin bars but instead of making the cream cheese frosting, simply whisk together 6 oz. marshmallow creme and 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Drizzle over pumpkin filling, top with nuts and bake.
Sweetie Pie Bars are made with Krusteaz Sweet Potato Pie Supreme Dessert Mix.
- 1 17 oz box Krusteaz Sweet Potato Pie Mix
- 1 pouch crust (enclosed)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 pouch filling mix (enclosed)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 pouch marshmallow creme (enclosed)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Crust: In a small bowl, stir together crust ingredients with a fork until well blended. Press into prepared pan. Bake 5 minutes.
- Filling: Whisk filling mix, water, egg and 4 tablespoons melted butter until smooth. Set aside.
- Topping: In separate bowl, whisk marshmallow creme and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Pour sweet potato filling over hot crust; top with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake 19-21 minutes. Cool completely.