Surprise Carrot Cake
Surprise Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
If you are a fan of Carrot Cake, you are going to Love this recipe. The “surprise” in this carrot cake recipe is the cream cheese center. This delicious Surprise Carrot Cake also has the traditional Cream Cheese Frosting that everyone loves on a carrot cake. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe a few years back. She served it on Easter Sunday and it was a huge hit. Especially with my hubby who claims to be somewhat of a carrot cake expert. Try this recipe for carrot cake and see what your family thinks!
History of Carrot Cake
Carrot Cake is one of America’s most classic dessert. It even has it’s own ‘day.’ National Carrot Cake Day is February 3rd! Did you know that carrots have been used as sweeteners in cakes since medieval times? I certainly didn’t. Recipes for carrot cake can be found in recipe books from as early as 1827. The oldest known recipe for carrot cake dates from 1892, found in a book of housekeeping tips from Switzerland.
Carrot cake was brought to the States with the G.I’s after WWII, Because of rationing in Europe during WWII, carrots were used as a sweetener and therefore carrot cake was very popular. In the 1960’s, this illustrious dessert became extremely popular and has been ever since. Who could resist a moist cake, filled with carrots? And what about the cream cheese frosting?!? No one, that’s who! Don’t forget to make Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting on February 3rd.
Surprise Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add egg; mix well. Refrigerate while making cake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Add carrots and oil; beat until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add to carrot mixture; mix well. Stir in chopped pecans. Pour 3 cups batter into a greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan or fluted tube pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350º for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat well.
- Frost cooled cake.
- *Store cake in the refrigerator
Looking for more Easter recipes? Try these; Strawberry Bread with Pink Glaze and Vegetable Bundles.
This recipe was made with Philadelphia Cream Cheese
18 Comments on “Surprise Carrot Cake”
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week! Hope you are having a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
Thank you Miz Helen!! It's always an honor to receive the Red Plate:)
This looks amazing!! Love the surprise!! Thanks, Linda
Thanks for stopping~
This is amazing. I'm featuring you tonight on the new linky party. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Linda
Thank you for featuring my Surprise Carrot Cake!! It is delicious~
I love it! There's a substitute for the cream cheese filling?
Kisses from Chile!
Hi Anastasia~ Thank you for stopping by from Chile! You could use a soft spreadable cheese such as marscapone cheese, neufchatel cheese or anything available in your area. I hope that helps:) Lynn
This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
We hope to see you there!
Hi~ Thanks for stopping by and Thanks for invite:) I will see you there~
Love the surprise! Thanks for joining us this week at the Let's Get Social Sunday party. Have a wonderful week!
Thank you! Hope you have a great week also:)
Hi Marsha~ This is a real winner:) You will love this Carrot Cake! Thanks for stopping by, Lynn
Oh Girl. You are SPEAKIN' MY LANGUAGE with this lovely recipe. OH MY! Looks fabulous…I will definitely be looking for a reason to make this yummy dessert. (I don't dare make it and keep it in the house!=) Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Looking forward to what you bring to our table next time.
Oh YUM !
Hi Cindy~ This is my hubby's favorite cake:) Lynn
I love carrot cake and this looks amazing!! What does the filling taste like after baking? Is it still soft and creamy?
Hi~ No, the filling isn't soft or creamy it has the same texture as the cake but tastes like cream cheese…..very delicious:) Thanks for stopping and have a great weekend~ Lynn