String Pie is a delicious alternative to lasagna. Cooked spaghetti noodles are combined with eggs, butter and Parmesan cheese. The mixture is spread into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. When baked, this forms the crust. Ricotta cheese and shredded Italian cheese blend forms the cheese layer and a simple meat sauce covers the top. String pie is fast, easy and affordable. Another plus, it’s ready to serve in under an hour. String Pie has a short name but is “big” on flavor. This recipe is very versatile, so make it the way you and your family likes.
You can dress this dish up by serving it with glasses of wine or you can simply serve string pie with glasses of ice water. Serve String Pie with a small tossed salad and garlic bubble bread for an easy, delicious and affordable meal that the whole family will love. A chilled bottle of Chianti would be perfect to serve with String Pie. For an added treat, finish this meal off with a dish of gelato. Anyway you choose to serve Sting Pie, it’s a hit in my book. Bon Appetito
Lighten It Up
Try lighting up this recipe for String Pie by following these few easy tricks. Instead of using ground beef called for in the recipe, substitute ground turkey or skip the meat altogether. Use a low sugar, low carb marinara sauce such as Newman’s Own. Replace the cooked spaghetti noodles with soybean spaghetti noodles or use your favorite “zoodles.” Lastly, use an egg alternative product and low-fat, low-moisture cheeses.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) jar pasta sauce
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded six cheese Italian blend cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook beef, onion and green pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is brown, stirring to separate meat. Drain fat. Stir in spaghetti sauce; mix well.
- Combine spaghetti noodles, Parmesan cheese, eggs and butter in a large bowl; mix well. Place in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Spread ricotta cheese over top. Sprinkle shredded Italian cheese blend over ricotta cheese. Pour sauce mixture over cheese. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.