Sourdough Sugar Cookies with Icing
Sourdough Sugar Cookies with Icing
Welcome back everyone! Today we have a special treat for you. We recently made Sourdough Sugar Cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing. I’ve been on a sourdough roll as of late and this recipe turned out perfectly. I’m not pulling your leg here, Sourdough sugar cookies with icing are fantastic! I’ve always prided myself on making ‘the best’ Christmas sugar cookies. A recipe that I’ve been making for over 40 years. Christmas Sugar Cookies Family Tradition are truly a tradition in my family. In fact, my kids always say that the cookies taste ‘just like Christmas.” I’ll admit though, that these cookies run a close second.
No Photos, No Problem
As I mentioned, I’ve been spending time making YouTube videos. They haven’t generated much attention (drop by Turnips 2 Tangerines) but my grandkids sure get a kick out of watching grandma on YouTube! If you happen to stop by my channel, Like and Subscribe! One thing I didn’t realize, was the amount of space videos take up on your computer.
If you’re familiar with computers or even if your not, I’m sure you’ve heard of a C drive before. Well mine was totally full and that’s not an easy thing to do. The C drive can hold a ton of information. What I did was I brought my computer into Best Buy. They transfer all of my endless food photos onto an external drive which freed up a lot of space on my C drive. Another thing I didn’t realize (this happens to me), I forget to take pictures when I’m done making a video!
Learn Something New
Let me just say that this whole video thingy has been a learning experience. The old saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” is false! This “old dog” has learned quite a few new tricks! I prefer to say, “You’re never to old to learn something new.” With all that being said, I didn’t take any pictures of the frosted sourdough sugar cookies. But Hey, what am I talking about! I don’t need pictures because I have a video!! Take a look…
More Sourdough Recipes
If you are looking for more Sourdough recipes, we’ve got you covered. Most of the sourdough recipes here on Turnips 2 Tangerines are from our favorite recipe cookbooklet, “Simply Sourdough, The Alaska Way,” by Kathy Doogan. You can purchase her cookbook at Thrift Books . All of the recipes use an active sourdough starter unless otherwise stated.
I have purchased many books from this website and it’s so easy and super fast. Books arrive in great condition and in a timely manner. Another thing I like about it is if you’re looking for an older book or let’s say volume 6 to complete your collection, you’ll most likely find it on ThriftBooks.com Check it out!
- Sourdough Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blackberry Lime Sourdough Muffins
- Sourdough Cake Doughnuts
- Cornmeal Millet Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Beignets
Sourdough Sugar Cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup active sourdough starter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Powdered Sugar Icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until mixture is fluffy, then stir in sourdough starter. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into sourdough mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough to 1/4” thick; cut with cookie cutters adolescent on lightly greased baking sheets or baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes, until light brown. Carefully remove cookies from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. When cool, frost with Powdered Sugar Icing. Store tightly covered.
- Make Powdered Sugar Icing; mix powdered sugar, vanilla and melted butter with enough milk or cream to make of proper spreading consistency. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired.