Oriental Salad is always delicious on a hot summer evening. It’s the perfect salad to bring to a picnic or to make for a light lunch meal. This salad is packed full of delicious ingredients. Coleslaw mix, broccoli slaw, baby spinach, green onions, oriental ramen noodles, four different nuts and a fantastic homemade dressing. Almost forgot to mention the garlic-ginger wonton strips too.
The ethnic mix of Milwaukee is a broad one, with over 50 nationalities represented there. Each year, just before Thanksgiving, the city celebrates with the “Holiday Folk Fair.” The Fair is sponsored by the International Institute of Milwaukee County and is the largest international folk festival in the nation. The Folk Fair honors the variety of cultures necessary to keep traditions alive.
Holiday Folk Fair
This entertaining and interesting event features outstanding cultural exhibits, international cuisine, a world shopping mart, ethnic entertainment and an Old World beer garden. Music, food, entertainment and ethnic wares are sold and enjoyed at the Holiday Folk Fair. Travel Around the World at Holiday Folk Fair international. For more information: Holiday Folk Fair International
Delicious Anyway You Make It
This summertime picnic favorite has been around for probably longer than you might think. I remember trying Oriental Salad for the first time at a 4th of July party some 25 years ago. There are as many versions of this salad but the “original” is my favorite. FYI, the recipe below isn’t the original. I’ll save that for a different post. The original salad is made with oriental flavored ramen noodles, coleslaw mix, green onions, almonds and an oil-vinegar dressing.
This version is made with coleslaw mix, fresh baby spinach and broccoli slaw. What is broccoli slaw? Well, broccoli slaw is a salad that is a variation of traditional coleslaw. It’s prepared using shredded raw broccoli stalks instead of shredded cabbage. It’s often combined with cole slaw mix that has carrots added. A dressing is made with vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, Commonly served at potlucks or picnics.
Oriental Ramen Noodle Salad
- 1 16 oz package coleslaw mix
- 1 16 oz package broccoli slaw mix
- 1 8 oz package baby spinach
- 6 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 3 oz packages oriental flavored Ramen noodles
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sunflower nuts
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup cashew halves
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 seasoning packets from Ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 cups garlic ginger wonton strips.
- Combine coleslaw mix, broccoli slaw mix, baby spinach, green onions, ramen noodles broken up, (set aside seasoning packets for dressing) almonds, sunflower nuts, black sesame seeds, cashew halves and cilantro in a large salad bowl.
- Chill, covered until serving time or up to 1 hour.
- Before serving, shake salad dressing ingredients in an empty glass jar with a screw top.
- Pour over salad, toss to coat.
- Sprinkle top of salad with wonton strips. Serve.
Recipes On Tap
Salad with Pears and Peanuts , and Super Easy Fish Wraps. Another favorite is Rib Eye with Brew Pub Seasoning.
For this recipe we used Nissin Ramen Noodles