Lemon Meringue Pie Grandma’s Recipe
Lemon Meringue Pie Grandma’s Recipe
Whenever I think of my Grandma, I always think of two things; Lemon Meringue Pie and Fudge. My Grandma made my Grandpa this recipe for homemade lemon meringue pie at least once a week throughout their marriage. Now that’s true love! I don’t recall her ever eating a slice of pie and after he passed away, I don’t think she ever made another pie, I wondered why? Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie is delicious!
And the Moral to the Story
One day when I was visiting my grandma, I asked her if she had a recipe for lemon meringue pie. It was Easter time and I offered to bring a pie to my in-laws house for dessert. When she said that she did, she told me the story about making a pie for Grandpa at least once a week, every week, throughout their marriage. (that’s a lot of pies!) I commented that she must really like lemon meringue pie, since she took the time to make her and grandpa a pie every week. She looked at me and said, “I’ve made so many pies, that I can’t stand the sight of a lemon meringue pie!” Well that explains everything!
We ♥ Pie
Fast and Easy
If you have never attempted to make a lemon meringue pie before, never fear! It’s really not as difficult as you might think. I use a refrigerated pie crust which makes things easier but you can make a homemade single crust if you prefer. The lemon filling is basically a homemade lemon pudding/pie filling, that is super easy to make. The meringue topping is just egg whites beaten with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. That’s it!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons heaping cornstarch
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 egg yolks, save whites for meringue topping
- 1 tablespoon heaping butter
- 1 14.1 oz package refrigerated ready pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan.
- Add rest of ingredients. Stir
- Place pan on top of a double boiler or over a large pan of simmering water.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- This can take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Remove pan from simmering water. Let cool.
- Make crust according to package directions for one-crust pie. Spoon filling into baked pie shell. Make meringue.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time over egg whites, beating well after each addition, beat whites until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg whites on filling, spread filling to the edges to seal.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until whites are golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Watching closely.
8 Comments on “Lemon Meringue Pie Grandma’s Recipe”
I have a long relationship with love lemon!! I like lemon better than chocolate! Pinned! Thanks for linking up to Saturday Dishes! Have a great week! ~ Paula
I'm with you!!! I would rather have something with lemon than chocolate:) Thanks for stopping today and have a great weekend~Lynn
Hi Jackie~ Thank you 🙂 So many recipes have wonderful memories behind them:) Thank you for stopping by~ Lynn
I love the story about your grandmother and grandfather! Thanks for linking up on Tried and True Recipes at http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com.
Your welcome! Thanks for hosting a great and fun party! Lynn
Lemon – wonderful. Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Thank you too for visiting some of the other links and leaving comments.
wow – that looks amazing!
Thanks~ It tasted wonderful~