Italian Egg Bake with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
Italian Egg Bake
with sun dried tomato pesto
This is a wonderful dish to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with fresh fruit and you’ll have a fantastic meal. Italian Egg Bake with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto is super. (Recipe for pesto is given below.) Also included in this yummy egg bake is Italian sausage, Italian-style cheese blend, frozen hash-brown potatoes, cut-leaf spinach and of course we can’t forget about the eggs. Serve Italian Egg Bake with orange wedges and small glasses of tomato juice.
Love Us Some Egg Bakes
One thing we love here on Turnips 2 Tangerines are egg bakes. Enjoy egg bakes anytime, for breakfast, for lunch and more egg bakes for dinner. We offer an assortment of eggs-travaganza recipes. Here is a just a few recipes you’ll want to try. Sun-dried Tomato Dip and Baked Eggs in Avocado. Bacon Spinach Cheese and Potato Bake is a favorite also. Italian Egg Bake with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto is super delicious. Give it a try!
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Italian egg bake is served with sun dried tomato pesto, but what are sun dried tomatoes. Sun dried tomatoes are as the name indicates, dried in the sun or by other artificial methods. The result is a chewy, intensely flavored. sweet dark red tomato. Sun dried tomatoes are usually either packed in oil or dry packed in cellophane. The dry pack type benefits from soaking in oil or other liquid before use. Sun dried tomatoes add their rich flavor to sauces, soups, sandwiches, salads and more.
Italian Egg Bake
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 4 cups frozen hash-brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Italian-style cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto, recipe follows
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350º Grease 8 x 8 inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large non-stick skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine potatoes and one cup shredded Italian cheese blend. In another medium bowl mix together the sausage and pesto.
- In greased baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture, all of the sausage mixture, the spinach and remaining potato mixture. Top with the remaining shredded Italian cheese blend. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Add milk, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, beat well. Pour evenly over potato mixture, cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour, uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.To serve, cut into squares.
Ways With Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
Sun dried tomato pesto is excellent made into a dip. Combine pesto with cream cheese and serve with corn chips or use as a spread on an Italian cold-cut sandwich. Another fantastic way to enjoy sun dried tomato pesto is in a BLT sandwich. Instead of using sliced fresh tomatoes, substitute sun dried tomato pesto. Simply combine a few teaspoons of sun-dried tomato pesto with the mayo. Spread the mayo mixture on slices of toasted bread and layer with crisp bacon and lettuce.
For this recipe we used jarred sun dried tomatoes Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/2 cup jarred sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, well drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or oil from sun-dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place everything in a food processor and puree.
- Store in the refrigerator, in a glass jar with screw top.