Eggplant Lasagna was a real hit in my family. When my hubby was advised by his Doctor to shed a few pounds and to cut his carb intake, he was devastated. My hubby is what I would consider a carb-a-holic. He loves pasta, bread, potatoes and rice. When I told him we were going to have eggplant lasagna for dinner, he groaned. His exact words,”Lasagna isn’t lasagna without noodles.” I think I changed his mind with this recipe!
Eggplant Lasagna, So Easy!
This recipe for Eggplant Lasagna is great for people on a diet, watching their carbohydrate intake, or if you want to prepare a ‘meatless’ meal, omit the ground turkey. Eggplant slices replace the traditional lasagna noodles called for in most if not all lasagna recipes. Eggplant Lasagna is a great way to add veggies to your diet. You can also use reduce calorie or low-fat ricotta cheese and shredded Italian cheese blend to skim even more calories off this dish.
Let’s Face It
Let’s face it guys, my hubby is right, “Lasagna isn’t lasagna without noodles” but there is an exception to every rule. Pasta isn’t a necessarily a thing. Everyone needs some carbs in their diet because everyone knows that carbs provide energy etc. etc. The key to eating carbs in my opinion, as with eating anything ‘bad’ for you, is moderation. Moderation is the key word. Everything and anything can be eaten in moderation.
That being said, moderation also means self-control. Maybe that should be the key “phrase.” Here’s a plan that I have adapted, that seems to be working well for myself and my hubby. I have set aside a certain day each week that are “meatless” and “pasta/carb free.” Friday’s are still “pizza night” Tuesday’s are “Taco Tuesdays” and so on and so forth. This may not work for all families but it seems to be working for mine….so far.
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 16 oz container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a 3 quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine milk and eggs. In a second shallow dish combine Italian style bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. In a 12-inch skillet cook eggplant slices, several at a time, in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, adding more oil if necessary. Drain slices on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey, onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until ground turkey is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Layer half of the eggplant slices in the prepared baking dish, cutting slices to fit if necessary. Spread with half of the meat mixture. Drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese over meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of the cheese, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake, covered in a 350º oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 10 mins before serving.
28 Comments on “Eggplant Lasagna”
G'day Lynn! This is one of my fave dishes from childhood!
Thanks for sharing at the Foodie Friends Friday Healthy Choices Party!
Thanks Joanne!! It has become a family favorite~
Hi Lynn, I just love re-making recipes like this. Our family likes eggplant and I'll definitely be making this. It sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
Look forward to seeing you again soon,
Hi Joanne~ This recipe turned out really delicious~ It has inspired me to re-invent other recipes….replacing veggies for pasta or potatoes in recipes~ So glad you stopped by~
G'day! One word…YUM, true!
Based on your photo, am craving some now too!
Viewed as part of Joanne's Foodie Friends Friday – Let's Eat Healthy Party
Hi Joanne~ Thanks for stopping by today and have a great day~ Lynn
Hi Claire~ Your welcome! I certainly will spread the word:) Have a Wonderful Weekend~ Lynn
This looks so delicious! Thanks so much for linking up to the "Blog Bulge" party! Hope you will encourage others to do the same! Have a great weekend! 🙂 Claire
Thank you so much for featuring my recipe this week at the Recipe Box! What a wonderful surprise:) Thanks also for stopping by today for a visit~ Have a Great Week and Thanks again:) Lynn
I have to pick up some eggplants. This is a delicious dish and I want it on my menu, soon. It is being featured, this week, at the Recipe Box. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you give this recipe a try…your gonna love it:) Have a Great Day!! Lynn
I absolutely love eggplant! This sounds amazing!! Pinned! 🙂
Thanks for sharing this at Wonderful Food Wednesday!
Hi Katie!! Thanks for stopping by from Lovely Blog Hop~ Now following you too:)Enjoy your day! Lynn
this looks amazing! stopping by from the Lovely Blog Hop and following now 🙂
Katie | the text you want people to click on in your comment to get to that URL
Thanks for stopping by Aileen! I love anything pasta too:) Lynn
Ooooohhh lasagna! I love anything pasta. 🙂 This looks so yummy!
Aileen @ iHeart Good Health, a new follower from Melissa's GFC blog hop.
Hi Angie, Glad you could stop by~ Have a Great Week~ Lynn
oh so yummy love dishes like this that are so young
Thanks for stopping by Brandi~ Hope you enjoy the recipe:) Lynn
Hi Lynn! Thanks for stopping by my blog. My family loves lasagna and I love eggplant. Combining the two is a win for us! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Hi Evelyn~ Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad your here:) I have been trying to find ways to replace pasta in meals also! This dish really turned out great! Lynn
Just pinned!!! I was looking for recipes that leave out the pasta:) Great idea and sounds great:)
This looks like another good one. 🙂
Thank you:) Lynn~
Hi~ Thanks for stopping by! If your mom likes eggplant she will definitely like this dish:) Enjoy you week! Lynn
Looks great! My mom is a huge fan of eggplant so this might be a great recipe when she comes to visit! Thanks for sharing! =D
Hi! I have made this without the breading and it's wonderful:) Thanks for stopping by~ Lynn
um …. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy looking (without the breading though … can't eat wheat products any more)