Four ingredients is all that is needed to make this delicious chicken. Chicken, whole-berry cranberry sauce, Russian salad dressing and an envelope of onion soup mix is all that is needed. You can bake this dish in the oven or make it in your slow-cooker. Serve over rice, with your favorite vegetable, and you’ll have a delicious meal your whole family will love.
Word About Cranberry
These shiny scarlet berries are grown in huge, sandy bogs on low, trailing vines. Cranberries are also called bounce berries because ripe cranberries bounce. They’re know as cranberries in some areas after the shape of the shrub’s pale pink blossoms, which resemble the heads of the cranes often seen wading through the cranberry bogs. Cranberries grow wild in northern Europe and in northern climates of North America.
They’re extensively cultivated mainly in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Washington and Oregon. Harvested between Labor Day and Halloween, the peak market period for cranberries is October through December. Cranberries are usually sold in 12-ounce plastic bags and can be found in your grocers produce section. Stock up because cranberries freeze super. Just toss the cranberries, bag in all, into the freezer. They’ll keep at least a year.
- 2 1/2 pounds cut-up chicken
- 1 16 oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 8 oz bottle Russian salad dressing
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Arrange chicken pieces in a 3 quart rectangle baking dish
- In a small bowl, combine cranberry sauce, salad dressing and onion soup mix. Pour over chicken in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees, covered for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 30 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir glaze and spoon over chicken once or twice during baking.
- Slow Cooker Directions:
- Arrange chicken pieces in bottom of a 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine cranberry sauce, salad dressing and onion soup mix. Pour over chicken. Turn to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce is just one recipe you can make with cranberries. Easy Cranberry Upside Down Cake another recipe and it’s a family favorite. Made with orange flavored boxed cake mix and fresh cranberries, it’s sure to become your family’s favorite too. For this recipe we used cranberries from Twin Lake Cranberries and Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix.