Are you a fan of Coconut? Chocolate? Candied Cherries? I know you’re a fan of sweetened condensed milk, let’s face it, who isn’t right! Well if you said yes too any of the ingredients mentioned and you have one hour to spare…you’ll have enough time to whip up these delicious cookies. Cocoa-Cherry Macaroons are a crowd pleaser, so you might want to make a double batch.
Mounds and Almond Joy
One of my all time favorite candy bars is a Mounds bar. And sometimes when you feel like a nut, an Almond Joy. If you’re as old as I am you might remember the commercial for Almond Joy candy bars popular back in the 80’s. The commercial was put out by the Peter Paul candy company, makers of Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars. The commercial was actually twofold because it featured both Mounds and Almost Joy candy bars.
Thankfully, Hershey’s purchased the Peter Paul Co. Mounds and Almond Joy and we can continue to indulge in both candy bars. I have been making my version of Mounds bars for years. The recipe is super easy and delicious. Want to make it and taste for yourself? Here’s the recipe: Ultimate Mounds Bars. Hmm, I wonder if I could make this recipe for macaroons into a new version of Mounds bars??
Anyway, I’m rambling again, the old commercial jiggle went something like this. 🎶 Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mounds don’t.🎶 Almond Joy’s got rich milk chocolate. Coconut and honey nuts too. Mounds got deep dark chocolate, chewy coconut ooh. 🎶 Sometimes you feel like a nut. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Sometimes you don’t. Oooh oooh. Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mounds don’t. 🎶 Peter Paul Almond Joy’s got nuts, Peter Paul Mounds don’t. 🎶 Because….Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t.
- 6 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup candied dried cherries, diced
- Good quality dipping chocolate, optional
- Combine coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl; mix until coconut is well coated. Stir in chocolate chips and cherries. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2- inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
- Optional Step: Melt dipping chocolate. Dip bottoms of cookies into melted chocolate. Set aside to allow chocolate to set up. Or, spoon melted chocolate over cookies. Set aside to allow chocolate to set up.