Honey Ginger Carrots and Mini Meatloaves
Make a Valentine’s Day Dinner for Two and Serve Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots with Sweetheart Mini Meatloaves. Sounds good doesn’t it:) Then for dessert you can serve a Lemon Cream Cheese Danish, yum! Now I know that the usual Valentine’s Day Dinner consists of a Grilled Beef Tenderloin for two or Broiled Lobster with drawn butter for two…and then for dessert a Chocolate Lava Cake, again for two…but when you’ve been married for over 20 years like I have, we’ve been there, did that….many times before.
This year I wanted to make something different. I decided to go with Mini Heart-Shaped Meatloaves because we love a good meatloaf and Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots because they are just plain good. Honey-ginger carrots and Mini Heart Shaped Meatloaves may not sound romantic or would even be considered your traditional romantic dinner for two, but if you set a nice dinner table, light a few candles, pour some wine and turn on your favorite music, in my case, you’ll be well on your way to a romantic evening for two.
Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots
- 1 pound carrots, sliced ( sticks)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh gingerroot
- In a kettle cover carrots with salted water by 2 inches and boil, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While carrots are cooking, cook honey, butter, and gingerroot over moderate heat, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Drain carrots well and in a bowl toss with honey glaze and salt and pepper to taste.
Mini Heart-Shaped Meatloaves
Serve these cute, heart-shaped mini meatloaves on Valentine’s Day.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 slices soft bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10-15 saltine crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
Form meat mixture into two heart-shaped meatloaves.
- Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish.
- Cover meatloaf with foil.
- Bake 1 hour, remove foil, continue baking for an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
*Drizzle Mini Meatloaves with Worcestershire Sauce before baking*