On the Menu Today~
Red, White and Blue Cupcakes
1 (15.25 oz) box
French vanilla super moist cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable
3-4 drops gel
red food coloring
3-4 drops gel
blue food coloring
red, white and blue
mini star sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on box; In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter into thirds, (about 1 1/4 cups each)
- Add red food coloring to 1 1/4 cups, blue food coloring to the second 1 1/4 cups and leave the third 1 1/4 cups white. Using a teaspoon, alternate and layer red, white and blue into paper cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan, cool on wire rack until completely cooled.
- Make Frosting:
- Divide frosting into thirds. Add 3-4 drops red food coloring to the first bowl, 3-4 drops blue food coloring to the second bowl and leave the last bowl white. Divide white frosting between two pastry bags, that have a Wilton # pastry tip inserted. Carefully spoon red tinted frosting along side white frosting in one pastry bag and carefully spoon blue tinted frosting along side white frosting in second pastry bag. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and decorate with colored mini stars.