We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Caramel Chocolate Layer Bars #SundaySupper Movement
Today’s Event is hosted by: Christie Campbell from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. I found this recipe in an old church cookbook that was from the 1950’s. I bought the spiraled bound recipe book at a thrift store for 10 cents.
I’m sure you have seen this type of cookbook before….In fact you might even own a couple yourself, they were and still are often used as a way to raise money, for schools, churches and organizations. The monies raised usually stays in the community and is used for many wonderful causes. This cookbook is a collection of recipes from: St. Mary’s Catholic Church Cookbook, Volume 2.
I’m always a little hesitant about making recipes from old cookbooks…I never know if all the ingredients are listed, if the measurements are correct or
if the ingredient list is compatible to today’s ingredients. Hence the reason for the Recipe Note below.
Recipe Note: When I made this recipe, my cake mix mixture wasn’t crumbly. The recipe stated to combine together the dry cake mix, melted butter, evaporated milk and chopped pecans. It then states to stir until dough ‘holds’ together. The recipe then says to ‘press’ half of the dough into the pan.
At the end of the recipe, it says to ‘crumble’ remaining dough over caramel layer.
My ‘dough’ was more like a brownie batter and not at all crumbly, which meant we had to change the directions slightly. Recipe direction change; spread 3/4 of the batter into the greased pan and bake for 8 minutes, removed from oven and immediately sprinkled the chocolate chips over the baked crust, drizzle the caramel sauce over the chocolate chips and drop the remaining batter, by spoonfuls over the top. Other than that slight hiccup, these chocolate caramel layer bars turned out fantastic. We are big caramel fans, so these bars didn’t last long.
German chocolate cake mix, melted caramels, chopped pecans and chocolate chips turned into an irresistible, candy-bar like treat, that your whole family will love. Next time you see an old spiral bound cookbook at a thrift store, pick it up and see what delicious recipes you can find to make.
- 1- 11 ounce package
- 2/3 cup
- 1 box
German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup
- 1 cup
- 1 cup
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat; stirring constantly until smooth, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, melted butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and pecans. Stir until dough holds together. Spread half of dough into prepared pan. Bake at 350º for 8 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked crust; spread caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble or drop remaining dough over caramel layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate 30 minutes to set caramel layer.
- Cut into 36 bars.
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park #SundaySupper
Starters, Skewers, and Sandwiches al Fresco
- Antipasto Skewers by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Slider Sandwiches by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Layered Portable Picnic Jars by The Weekend Gourmet
- Low Carb Ham Pinwheels by Cricket’s Confections
- Patatas Brava Chorizo Sausage Rolls by Food Lust People Love
- Pickled Ratatouille Vegetables by My Life Cookbook
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps by The Crumby Kitchen
Stow-and-Go Sides and Salads
- Avocado Bacon Loaded Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad by Cooking With Carlee
- Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash by Caroline’s Cooking
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad by Life Tastes Good
- Southern Cornbread Salad by Gourmet Everyday
- Summer Quinoa Salad by Simple and Savory
- Sweet and Sour Macaroni Deli Salad by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad by Bites of Wellness
Drinks and Desserts for Outdoor Dining
- Banana Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blueberry Hand Pies by Our Good Life
- Cantaloupe Mint Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Cherry Poke Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Caramel Layer Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Cherry No Bake Bars by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Fruit Drink by Basic N Delicious
- Rice Krispie Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.