We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Apple Walnut Sourdough Muffins are absolutely delicious! Made with sourdough starter, chopped walnuts and the best part, shredded apples. I love the fact that this recipe uses shredded apples instead of the usual diced apples. Shredded apples give the muffins extra moisture, while adding that classic apple flavor. If you don’t care for walnuts, raisins or even dates would be great substitutes. Of course, Apple Walnut Sourdough Muffins have that distinctive ‘sourdough’ tang that all sourdough lovers love.
Apple Walnut Sourdough Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely grated apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Spray a jumbo (6) muffin tin with non-stick spray or lightly grease using solid shortening.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together until it becomes pale. This will take several minutes. Add egg and milk, mix well. Add the starter, flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix the batter. Gently stir in the apples and walnuts. Half fill your muffin cups with batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.