Pear Cranberry Hand Pies
Pear Cranberry hand held pies are truly delicious. The buttery crust is the bomb, the pear cranberry pie filling is one of my absolute favorites and the powdered sugar glaze is literally the icing on the cake, or should I say, the hand pie. The glaze reminds me of the glaze that is found on Hostess fruit pies, (my hubby’s secret addiction) sugary yet not to sweet and the glaze forms a nice firm coating.
When Life Gives You Pears
Last November when I received a bushel of ripen pears (for free) from the kind owner of the apple orchard where I buy all of my fall fruit from, I didn’t really know what I was going to make with them. On my way home, I made one last stop at the grocery store. In an end bunker located near the produce section, they had a sale on cranberries for .99. I knew immediately what I was going to make. Pear Cranberry Pie Filling was born and has become one of my all time favorite pie fillings.
Pear Cranberry Hand Pies
(Makes 4 to 6 hand pies)
- Buttery Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup
- 1 quart Pear Cranberry Pie Filling OR
- 1 quart
pie filling of your choice
for sealing dough
- 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup
milk or half-and-half
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1/4 cup ice water; mix together until dough comes together, adding more ice water if needed. Form dough into a square; wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Allow dough to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured work surface.
- Using a pastry cutter, divide dough into 8 rectangles.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut out a shape in 4 dough rectangles, these will be the tops of your hand pies. Place a small amount of pie filling on the remaining 4 rectangles, brush a small amount water on the edges. Place the 4 rectangles with the cut-outs on top of the filling. Lightly press down the edges to seal. Beat together the egg and water. Brush over the hand pies, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375º for 30 minutes or until pies are golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack, set over wax paper.
- Meanwhile make glaze:
- In a small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar and milk. Stir until reach desired glaze consistency. Drizzle glaze over warm hand pies.