On the Menu Today~
I recently made Strawberry Surprise Cake,
when my grandkids were here for a visit.
After we finished frosting the cake and
they decorated the cake with sprinkles,
…lots and lots of sprinkles…
my grandson leaned forward,
bent down over the cake,
closed his eyes and took a deep breath….
He then said,
“Grandma, this strawberry cake smells just like a girl-friend!”
I started to laugh and said,
“Well, I guess you’re going to have a very ‘sweet’ girlfriend someday.”
|Willow with her Strawberry Surprise Birthday Cake|
This yummy cake starts off with a packaged strawberry cake mix.
pink gel food coloring adds that extra splash of color.
A few tablespoons of strawberry jam is added to the batter,
adding more strawberry flavor and moisture.
The ‘surprise’ in strawberry surprise cake is a cream cheese filling.
Soften cream cheese, sugar and an egg are beaten together.
Half of the cake batter is poured into the bottom of a prepared bundt pan,
the cream cheese filling is spooned over the batter,
the remaining cake batter is poured over the cream cheese filling.
After the cake is baked and cooled,
it gets topped with a canned strawberry frosting,
that gets an extra flavor blast from strawberry extract.
…. How good does this cake sound….
Strawberry Surprise Cake🍓
is the perfect springtime dessert.
If you’re looking for a Strawberry Dessert
to serve for Easter Dinner,
this Strawberry Surprise Cake is for you.
Serve this cake with sliced, fresh strawberries.
1 (15 oz) package
Strawberry Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon
rose pink soft gel paste food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Strawberry Frosting:
- 1 container strawberry frosting
- 1/4 teaspoon strawberry extract
- Sprinkles, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add egg; mix well.
- Refrigerate while preparing cake batter.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and strawberry extract in bowl with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Beat in 2 drops of rose pink gel food coloring and strawberry jam.
- Pour 3 cups batter into greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350º F for 35 to 45 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Transfer canned strawberry frosting into a small bowl.
- Stir in strawberry extract. Frost cake.