Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres
Fancy Appetizer Recipes for #Sunday Supper.
Gougeres are basically cheese puffs or dough balls studded with a variety of ingredients. In this recipe chopped mushrooms and crumbled blue cheese are added to the dough. Gougeres are delicious right from the oven or served at room temperature. An added entertaining bonus, gougeres can be prepped ahead and frozen on a baking sheet. When frozen, transfer gougeres to plastic freezer baggies and freeze until ready to bake. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time when you’re ready to bake the frozen gougeres.
Here at Turnips 2 Tangerines we have made Gougeres many, many times. We refer to them simply as “puffs.” Puffs can be serves with sweet fillings or savory fillings. Sweet fillings such as cream or fruit. Savory fillings such as this one mushroom and cheese, ham salad, chicken salad and/or just about anything else you can think of, making them an excellent choice for parties.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces
cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
shallots, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup
- pinch of salt and
freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup
- 3/4 cup
crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In large skillet over medium-high, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic and a large pinch of salt. Cook until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium, combine the remaining 7 tablespoons butter, water, milk and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then add the flour all at once. Stirring with a wooden spoon, mix well and continue to cook until the mixture becomes a ball that separates from the sides of the pan, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the dough ball a large bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes to allow the mixture to cool slightly. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the reserved mushroom mixture and the blue cheese. Scoop by the tablespoonfuls or using a small cookie scoop, place walnut-size dollops on prepared baking sheets, leaving 1 1/2 inches of space between each.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Buttery Mushroom Pinwheels by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Ham and Mustard Spirals by Food Lust People Love
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mini Lobster Rolls by The Chef Next Door
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Mini Caprese Bites With Balsamic Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
- Mini Chicken and Mochi Waffles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Potstickers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Mini Tuna Crostini by Basic N Delicious
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Award Show Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Key Lime Cream Puffs by Gourmet Everyday
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Tangy Pecan Baked Brie by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by Sunday Supper Movement
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.