On the Menu Today~
Homemade canned blueberry pie filling plus
One thing though,
you really can’t skimp on the blueberry filling…
We highly recommend making your own blueberry pie filling.
It really isn’t difficult and the taste is pure heaven.
Next summer, when blueberries are in season,
go out and pick your own, (fresh is always best) or
when your grocery store runs a special on blueberries,
pick up a couple of cartons and
make some blueberry filling!
The recipe given here Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling is for 1 quart.
I double the recipe and make 2 quarts of pie filling….
We like to have 2 quarts of several different fruit pie fillings on hand such as:
blueberry, cherry, peach, blackberry, apple and pear-cranberry,
instead of having six of the same kind of pie filling.
This is our personal preference….
If you have a large family,
have access to large amounts of blueberries,
or you simply love blueberry pie filling and bake often,
by all means, make as many quarts as you want…hey
knock yourself out!
If you don’t have any homemade pie filling on hand,
you can still make this delicious pie.
There are many wonderful brands on the market to pick from.
Our favorites include:
Lucky Leaf Duncan Hines and Solo
refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
homemade blueberry pie filling OR
1 (21 oz) can
blueberry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Unroll one pie crust, place in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Flute the pie crust edges.
- Spoon blueberry pie filling into pie crust.
- Unroll second pie crust, using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut out as many shapes as possible.
- Place heart shaped cutouts on top of blueberry filling in a decorative pattern.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush egg mixture on crust cutouts and decorative crust. Sprinkle sugar over the top of the pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and blueberry filling is bubbly.