Easy Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Easy Cranberry Upside Down Cake is fantastic. It has that classic cranberry and orange flavor combination that everyone loves. Made with a packaged orange cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, orange juice, crystallized ginger and of course, the star of the recipe: Cape Cod Select Premium Frozen Cranberries. Cranberry upside down cake is not only delicious but easy to make as well. Easy Cranberry Upside Down Cake has that same brown sugary, buttery, and gooey topping that makes all upside down cakes irresistible.
Turnips 2 Tangerines has taken the challenge! The Cape Cod Select Blogger Holiday Recipe Challenge. This challenge features Cape Cod Select Premium Cranberries. We were thrilled to take part in the Blogger Holiday Recipe Challenge. Cranberries are a favorite of ours and we have used many times in recipes. Fresh, frozen or dried cranberries add that extra sweet/tart flavor.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup
firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons finely diced crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 to 4 cups “Cape Cod Select Premium Frozen Cranberries” thawed*
- 1/3 cup
chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 package (16.5 oz) orange supreme cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup
- 3 large eggs
- whipped cream or
whipped topping, for serving
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- In a 10-inch, 3-inch deep round baking pan* melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar, orange juice, crystallized ginger and orange zest evenly over butter. Sprinkle cranberries and chopped walnuts if using, over brown sugar mixture; set aside.
- Make cake batter: Blend cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, oil and eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter evenly over cranberry mixture.
- Bake in center of oven at 350º F for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Place heatproof serving plate upside down onto pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake for 5 minutes so the brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream or whipped topping. Store covered in the refrigerator.
*Amount depends on size of pan.