On the Menu Today~
Braised Red Cabbage
Good Morning and Welcome!
It’s time for Sunday Supper.
This Weeks Event: Best Holiday Side Dishes
Hosted by: Renee Pajestka
This is a very old German recipe.
It was passed down to my dad,
from his mother and my grandma,
I have never meet my grandma,
she had passed away before I was born.
For this reason, my dad made braised red cabbage,
each and every year for our Thanksgiving dinner…
After all, isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about?
Giving thanks for all we are thankful for and
preparing and enjoying favorite family recipes,
that have been passed down from one generation to the next.
Braised Red (Purple) Cabbage,
has that classic sweet-sour flavor,
that is a German favorite.
Making it the perfect side dish,
for your Thanksgiving Dinner.
1 medium head (2 lbs)
red (purple) cabbage, shredded
tart apples, peeled and chopped
apple cider or apple juice
bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon.
Fruity Side Dishes
- Apple Cranberry Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
- Sweet and Cheese Corn Bread by Basic N Delicious
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- Easy Roasted Veggies by April Golightly
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Pearl Onions, Peas and Bacon by New South Charm
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Feta by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.