Recipes On Tap

We like a good sandwich here on T2T. Here are a few of our favorites: Ultimate Chicken SandwichesHot Turkey Sandwiches and Open-faced Cucumber Sandwiches .

Comments

1. Sherri says

This is called Lutheran funeral meat, as it is served at most all Lutheran funerals. My mom passed away and it wasnt in her recipe box. Glad I found this for the measurements. I’m making it for national pickle day on Nov 14 next week. Thanks

• Lynn says

Hi Sherri,
      Thanks so much for stopping by! I never knew that’s what it’s called. I love finding out facts/history of dishes. I also didn’t know Nov. 14th was national pickle day either!! Thanks for the info. Lynn

2. Alfred says

Our local grocery store used to sell sandwich spread but it was so salty. I’ve made my own similar to your recipe but I added finely shredded cheddar cheese. By the way, pickled bologna is actual ring bologna pickled in a brine and served as slices on a cracker with cheese.

3. Melinda says

My mom used to buy deli cartons of “Sandwich Spread”. I loved it! But, my brother and sister called it vomit because of how it looked (they still ate it though). All these years later, I’ve tried ham salad (store, homemade) but its not the same. I want to make this because if I remember correctly, mom said that sandwich spread was made out of bologna. Thanks!

• Lynn says

Hi Melinda,
      Yes, you need to use ring bologna for that true taste! Growing up we called it “pickled bologna” and I still do but most people refer to it as sandwich spread. I worked in a deli, (briefly) and the sandwich spread made in that deli was a combination of all the different leftover “ends” from the rolls of meat sold. That is why some sandwich spreads never taste the same. Ham spread only has to have a small percentage of ham in the final product to be call ham spread:) Lynn

4. Nancy says

My mom made the same recipe- and it just never tasted the same using a food processor instead of the old cast iron grinder! And we always had to use “squishy white bread” to eat it. Nothing else tasted the same.

• Lynn says

Hi Nancy,
      I’ve tried finding an old grinder but when I do, half of the pieces are missing:) Thanks for dropping by and have a great weekend. Lynn

5. Don Thompson says

I recall this from my long lost "Salad Days" back in the Pittsburgh area. When we made it we included pimento stuffed olives along with your ingredients.

• LNLVNDR says

Hi Don,
      I will definitely have to try it your way..
      when I was younger, I didn't care for pimento stuffed olives,
      but as I got older and ordered cocktails with pimento stuffed olives,
      I learned to love them:)
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Lynn

6. LNLVNDR says

That's so funny!
    I was in charge of turning the handle too.
    We ate this all the time:)
    My ex-hubby and I fought over the "meat grinder",
    he got the old one and I had to buy a new one!
    I still prefer the old one too.
    Thanks for stopping,
    Lynn

7. Calisue337 says

Now that's a recipe that triggers memories for me! We made ours with dill pickles & no onions and used for sandwiches on white bread. We had the same grinder (I still have it!) and I was in charge of turning the handle. For some unknown reason my parents called this "ground ham" lol