Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats
What are Overnight Oats in a Jar?
A delicious ‘grab n’ go’ breakfast.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?
If your like me and skip breakfast or
order your breakfast at the drive through on your way to work…
Shame on you and shame on me too.
Oh, I eat my obligatory bowl of bran flakes every morning,
sometimes even with a sliced banana on top,
but let’s face it, that can get really boring……
With this easy recipe for overnight oats in a jar,
you’ll never skip breakfast again or
pay waay too much for that lukewarm egg sandwich and
those cold, greasy round potato things.
(Even though once in awhile its ok to indulge)
What are Overnight Oats in a Jar
The principle behind overnight oats in a jar is a simple one…
you add oats to a glass jar or other covered container,
add some kind of milk or liquid,
your favorite toppings and
pop the jar into the refrigerator overnight.
The next morning your delicious breakfast will be waiting for you.
You will never have to miss breakfast again, ever.
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
Most if not all of the recipes for overnight oats
are easy, fast and affordable.
(5-10 minutes of prep time)
The “add ins” are endless.
(you can use anything you like)
The oats will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
(this gives you 3 mornings of breakfast)
You can eat overnight oats cold or warmed
(warm in the microwave 1-2 minutes)
You can use any jar with a tight fitting lid
(pickle, jam, or canning jars work great)
old fashion oats
natural peanut butter
chia seeds, optional
1 to 2 tablespoons
bananas (used the day of eating)
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except bananas. Ladle 4 equal servings into jar. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Warm in the microwave for 45 seconds up to 1 minute, then top with 1/2 a banana, sliced, on each serving.
Recipe lightly adapted from: The Art of Comfort Baking
1 clean jar with a
1/3 to 1/2 cup
rolled oats (fill 1/2 of the jar with oats)
1 to 2 teaspoons
milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.
nuts and/or seeds
ground cinnamon and/or other spices
1 to 2 teaspoons
sweetener, honey, agave syrup, maple syrup
sliced fresh or frozen fruit
- Fill glass jar 1/2 full with oats. Add 1 teaspoon chia seeds, optional.
- Fill glass with liquid until oats are well coated, such as: skim milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, orange juice.
- Add your favorite ‘add ins’ such as: almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, berries, fruits like: cherries, apples and/or pears, nut butters, coconut, Greek or plain yogurt…this list goes on and on…
- Add spices; ground cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, cocoa powder. Sweeteners such as: honey, agave syrup, maple syrup