Mango Checkerboard Cake
Mango Checkerboard Cake came about after I found this Vintage Rowoco 4 piece checkered cake mold set at a thrift store for $1.00. The outside packaging was badly damaged but everything else was intact. I am a sucker for gadgets and vintage kitchen pans. Normally I bring the “gadget” I find home, throw it in my big “to try later” drawer and usually forget about it for a few months..sometimes even for a few years.
I think I had this pan in my drawer for over a year until one day my grandson found it. When my grandson found it… he said, “Hey Grandma, can we make a checkered cake?” I said, “Well certainly, my dear grandson!” So we proceeded to make our first checkered cake. I always keep a few boxes of cake mixes and containers of frosting on hand for when my grandson comes for a visit. My grandson loves to help me make cookies and cupcakes and he loves to eat them too.
- 1 (15 oz) box
Pillsbury Moist Supreme Tropical Mango Flavored Premium Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup
- 1/3 cup
- 2 to 3 drops
Americolor electric orange food coloring gel
- checkerboard pan with
- 1 can
Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Vanilla Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour checkerboard pans and inserts.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs. With an electric mixer on low speed, mix until moistened. Beat on medium high for 2 minutes. Divide batter in half and place half of the batter in a medium glass bowl. Add 2 to 3 drops of food coloring gel to one batter half. Mix on low speed until combined.
To make checkerboard; with batter divider in place
- First pan: pour mango colored batter (1/2 full) into outer stripes, pour orange colored batter into middle stripe. (1/2 full)
- Second pan: pour orange colored batter (1/2 full) into outer stripes, pour mango colored batter into middle stripe. (1/2 full)
- Third pan: pour mango colored batter (1/2 full) into outer stripes, pour orange colored batter into middle stripe. (1/2 full)
- Fourth pan: pour orange colored batter (1/2 full) into outer stripes, pour mango colored batter into middle stripe. (1/2 full)
- Carefully remove divider(s) from pans, lifting up slowly by the edges.
- Bake at 350º until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven, cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cakes from pans and cool on wire racks until cakes are cold.
- Place cake from first pan on a serving plate, brush off crumbs, frost top.
- Place cake from second pan on top of frosting, brush off the crumbs and frost top.
- Place cake from third pan on top of frosting, brush off crumbs and frost top.
- Place cake from fourth pan on top, brush off crumbs, frost the top and sides of cake.
When you cut the cake you should have a checkerboard pattern.
*This is not a sponsored post. T2T is dedicated to passing along food finds to its readers.