On the Menu Today~
Lemon Hand Pies
Spring has Sprung!
That calls for something easy,
lemony and hand held…like…
Lemon Hand Pies
Nothing says Spring to me more than a Lemon Dessert.
Spring officially starts today and….
these delicious, hand-held lemon pies
will definitely get you in the mood for Spring.
This recipe was featured on CCN,
Culinary Content Network~ The Daily Meal
2 1/2 cups
cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
ice cold water
1 (21 oz) can
lemon pie filling (Wilderness)
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles small peas.
- Slowly drizzle the ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, over the flour mixture, mix just until the dough begins to pull together, drizzle with more water if needed. Pull dough together, divide into 2 disks, wrap each disk tightly with a piece of plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove one of the pie dough disks from the refrigerator. Roll out dough to about 1/8″ thickness on a floured work surface. Use a 4″ wide circle cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Transfer circles to the baking sheet. Place one large, heaping tablespoon of pie filling into the center of the circles.
- Remove second pie dough disk from the refrigerator. Roll out to about 1/8″ thickness on floured surface. Use a 4″ wide circle cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Using a mini heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out one small heart in the center of each circle. Wet pastry brush in 1/2 cup of water, brush water over the outside edge of the lemon pie filling circles on the baking sheet, place one heart-shaped dough on top of each lemon pie filling circles, press down lightly to seal or crimp the edges together with a fork. Using a fork, beat together egg and water; using same pastry brush, lightly brush tops of pies with egg wash, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pies for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool slightly.