On the Menu Today~
Egg and Tomato Pasta Nests
Egg and Tomato Pasta Nests or
Eggs in Purgatory, as my mom would say….
are delicious for brunch, lunch or dinner.
This impressive meal looks difficult to make but
this recipe comes together in under an hour.
Serve Eggs in Purgatory with fresh fruit…
Brunch, lunch or dinner is served.
We can’t think of a better way to eat an egg.
fettuccine al pomodoro (tomato pasta nests)
crushed red pepper flakes
1 (14 1/2 oz) can
basil, garlic and oregano diced tomatoes, undrained
salt and pepper,
grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325º Lightly grease a standard size muffin or cupcake tin*
- Fill a large pasta pot with water, add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta nests and boil for 6 to 9 minutes or just until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick saute’ pan over medium-low heat. Add oil, heat until warm, add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir in can of tomatoes, heat through. Keep warm.
- Loosely fill each muffin cup with a pasta nest and gently, using a small spoon create a small well in the center by pushing the pasta to the outside edges. Spoon 1 teaspoon or more of tomato mixture into each pasta nest.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl, gently slip egg into center of pasta nest on top of tomato mixture. Repeat for each nest. (Some of the egg white might spill over onto the outer portion of the muffin tin, don’t worry, the egg white will cook when tin is placed in the oven)
- Season eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake egg nests in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until eggs are just set with no uncooked whites surrounding the yolks
*Jumbo size muffin tin works great for this recipe.*
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil over high-heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, al dente, stirring occasionally about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Twirl 1/2 cupfuls of cooked fettuccine around tongs or a large fork. Transfer to prepared muffin tin cups and proceed with recipe.