We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Lattice Cherry Pie
The perfect pie anytime.
“Stumpy” this ones for you~
How To Make A Lattice Crust
Making a lattice crust isn’t as daunting to make as it may seem. I found this great “how to” tip/tutorial at: Inspired Taste It shows you step by step how to go about making a lattice crust. You can make a lattice top with homemade pie crust or with a refrigerated pie crust. Once you master a few tricks, you’ll be topping all of your pies with a “fancy” crust. Adding a lattice top crust to any pie takes it from “nice” to “wow.” It’s fast, easy and delicious.
- 1 quart
homemade cherry pie filling
- 1 pastry for
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/4 cups
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 2/3 cup
cup cold shortening
- 8 to 10 tablespoons
ice cold water
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Divide in half; form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle, 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9 inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Transfer cherry pie filling into pastry lined pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut circle into 1/2 inch wide strips. Weave strips over filling in a lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, remove foil, bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.