We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Lattice Cherry Pie
The perfect pie anytime. Lattice Cherry Pie is not only super “fancy” to look at, it tastes heavenly too. Made with homemade (Door County Cherries) cherry pie filling and a homemade pie crust, Lattice Cherry Pie is big on taste and as easy as ‘pie’ to make.
“Stumpy” this ones for you~
How To Make A Lattice Crust
Making a lattice crust isn’t as daunting to make as it may seem. I found this great “how to” tip/tutorial at: Inspired Taste It shows you step by step how to go about making a lattice crust. You can make a lattice top with homemade pie crust or with a refrigerated pie crust. Once you master a few tricks, you’ll be topping all of your pies with a “fancy” crust. Adding a lattice top crust to any pie takes it from “nice” to “wow.” It’s fast, easy and delicious. The second image is my attempt at making a lattice pie crust.
- 1 quart
homemade cherry pie filling
- 1 pastry for
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/4 cups
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 2/3 cup
cup cold shortening
- 8 to 10 tablespoons
ice cold water
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Divide in half; form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle, 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9 inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Transfer cherry pie filling into pastry lined pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut circle into 1/2 inch wide strips. Weave strips over filling in a lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, remove foil, bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Cherry Pie Filling is the perfect pie filling to use when making a cherry pie. Super delicious and the best part, it’s homemade. Serve slices of cherry pie with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping.