We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Homemade gnocchi is an easy and very affordable dinner option. Serve basil gnocchi with a side salad and a glass of white wine. Perfecto! Everyone needs a little “Gnocchi” in their life. Not as difficult to make as you might think, homemade gnocchi is delicious.
A Word About Gnocchi
Gnocchi [NYOH-kee; NOH-kee] Italian for “dumplings,” gnocchi can be made from potatoes, flour or farina. Eggs or cheese can be added to the dough, and finely chopped spinach or basil is also a popular addition. Gnocchi are generally shaped into little balls, cooked in boiling water and served with butter and Parmesan cheese or with a savory sauce. The dough can also be chilled, sliced and either baked or fried. Gnocchi are usually served as a side dish but can be served as main dish. Gnocchi make an excellent accompaniment for meat or poultry.
- 1 1/2 pounds
russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup
fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 4 quarts
- optional ingredients:
spaghetti sauce, jarred or homemade
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; return potatoes to pan.
- Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1 to 2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes; sprinkle with flour. Whisk the egg, salt and pepper; pour into well. Stir until blended. Add 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10 to 12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divided dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 1/2-inch thick ropes; cut into 3/4 inch pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30 to 60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce or a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.