On the Menu Today~
Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing
Today I’ll be sharing with you,
all the wonderful Thanksgiving dishes,
that we will be feasting on today..
Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing~
I have been making this recipe for
Old-Fashioned Bread Stuffing
for as long as I can remember.
It’s a very basic recipe and it’s delicious every time.
This recipe will easily stuff a 14-18 pound turkey.
This recipe is meant to be “stuffed” inside the turkey.
If you have left-over stuffing after stuffing the bird,
you can cook that in a lightly greased,
oven proof bowl, alongside the turkey.
*This recipe needs to be started the night before*
3 to 4
loaves sliced bread
1 (15 oz) box
honey cornbread and muffin mix
turkey liver and heart
from inside of turkey, chopped, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons
1/4 teaspoon each
salt and pepper
turkey broth or stock
- 14 to 16 pound turkey
- oven bag
- 3 tablespoons each, flour and oil
- Lay bread slices on two or three large baking sheets, set aside to air dry overnight.
- Butter a 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cornbread muffin mix, milk and egg. Mix just until moistened. Spoon into buttered dish. Bake according to directions an box. Remove form oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cornbread from pan and break in half. Place with the bread slices. Let stand overnight.
- Remove thawed turkey from outer package. Rinse under running cold water. Remove neck, liver, heart and gizzards from inside of turkey. Set aside heart and liver for the stuffing. Save neck and gizzards for another recipe. Set turkey aside.
- Remove oven bag from package. Place flour inside oven bag, shake flour around in oven bag, discard excess flour, set aside.
- Make stuffing: In a large skillet melt butter over medium low heat. Add chopped onion, celery, liver and heart. Cook 10 minutes or until celery is tender. Add poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- With a serrated knife, cut bread and cornbread into 2 inch cubes. Place bread cubes into a large bowl. Add beaten egg and onion mixture. Mix together well, using your hands for the best results. Add a small amount of turkey broth or stock at a time, mixing well after each addition, until bread mixture is moistened but not soggy.
- Stuff turkey and neck cavity with dressing. Drizzle turkey with vegetable oil, lightly massage into the skin. Place stuffed turkey into the prepared oven bag. Use twist tie to close the oven bag. Make 4 small slits in the top of the oven bag. Roast turkey according to oven bag directions.