Give the gift of Simple Syrup….Simple Syrups make great homemade holiday gifts. They will make your Christmas Merry and Bright. Give gifts of simple syrups to family and friends with a recipe card attached giving a list of the many uses for this “simple” gift. Add a ribbon, cinnamon stick, peppermint stick or even an antique spoon and you’ll have a great gift.
Add flavor easily
By adding a few different ingredients to the basic simple syrup recipe you can change the flavor. Try adding almond extract, fresh ginger, peppermint oil, citrus rind, fresh or frozen raspberries or ground cinnamon. You’ll create quite a “stir” by adding a few spoonfuls to any of the following: Iced or hot Tea, Coffee, Hot chocolate, Water, Lemonade, or Cocktails.
- 1 cup
- 2 cups
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cook all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Almond Syrup: Add 1 tablespoon almond extract after removing from heat.
- Cinnamon Syrup: Add 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon.
- Peppermint Syrup: Add 4 drops peppermint oil after removing from heat.
- Blueberry Syrup: Puree 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries and substitute for the water. Pour syrup through a wire mesh strainer, discarding skins.
- Citrus Syrup: Substitute fresh or frozen orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit juice and stir in grated rind of 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 2 limes or 2 grapefruits. Pour syrup through a wire mesh strainer, discarding pulp.
- Ginger Syrup: Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh ginger to the sugar and water mixture, pour syrup through a wire mesh strainer, discarding ginger. Use syrup immediately. Do not store.
- Raspberry Syrup: Puree 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries and substitute for water, Pour syrup through a wire mesh strainer, discarding seeds.
- Strawberry Syrup: Puree 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries and substitute for water. Pour syrup through a wire mesh strainer, discarding seeds.