On the Menu Today~
Maple Baked Beans
With summer winding down and
many schools starting soon…
Are you ready for one more baked bean recipe?
Maple baked beans are both Sweet and Spicy…
The sweetness comes from the maple syrup and
spicy from your choice of barbecue sauce.
Hope you enjoyed your summer…
on to all the recipes associated with Fall…
Apples, Squash, Pumpkins, Soups and Stews.
Comfort Food here we come…..
great northern beans, soaked overnight
to cover beans and soaked overnight
bacon, cut into thirds
(spicy) barbecue sauce
apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon each
salt and pepper
1 (8 oz) can
2 to 3 cups
reserved bean water
- To soak beans overnight: place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add enough cold water to cover beans. Cover the saucepan or Dutch oven, let stand at room temperature at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain and thoroughly rinse beans.
- In same Dutch oven, combine soaked beans, 10 cups water and baking soda. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain beans, reserving 2 to 3 cups bean liquid.
- Preheat oven to 300º F
- In a large casserole dish or bean pot, combine cooked beans, onion and bacon.
- Stir in maple syrup, ketchup, barbecue sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, ginger, liquid smoke and crushed pineapple. Stir in 1 cup reserved bean liquid.
- Bake, covered for 2 to 4 hours or until desired consistency.
- Stir beans occasionally and add more reserved bean liquid if needed.