Easy Strawberry Crisp made with
Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling~
strawberry pie filling, homemade or canned
old fashioned oatmeal
packed brown sugar
chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup (1 stick)
- Mix together oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add nuts.
- Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Spray an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour strawberry pie filling into prepared dish.
- Cover strawberry filling with crumb topping, lightly pat down.
- Bake at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.
For more information about pick your own
Go to: Pick Your Own.
Pick Your Own is a fantastic website…
You will find a world of information~
Strawberry Pie Filling made with fresh picked strawberries
is really not difficult at all to make.
The taste and texture of homemade Strawberry Pie Filling
doesn’t even compare to canned…
Don’t get me wrong….
I like canned strawberry pie filling and
use canned in certain recipes but
Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling is the
Crème de la Crème of strawberry pie filling.
Once you make your own strawberry pie filling and
start using homemade in recipes,
you’ll never go back to canned…
Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling
*This recipe makes 1 quart
*Double recipe for 2 quarts and so on.
3 1/2 cups
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon
(dry) clear jel starch
cold water or strawberry juice
3 1/2 teaspoons
bottled lemon juice
- Step 1:
- Select strawberries, fresh or even frozen can be used.
- Of course, pick your own when in season.
- Step 2:
- Wash canning jars, and lids in hot, soapy water.
- Rinse well with hot water.
- Step 3:
- Sort, wash and hull the strawberries.
- Step 4:
- Blanch the strawberries.
- Place strawberries (up to 7 cups at a time) in a large pot, with at least 1 gallon of boiling water.
- Boil each batch for 1 minute after the water returns to a boil.
- You’re not “cooking” the strawberries, just blanching them.
- Blanching helps the strawberries retain their color, shape and flavor.
- Step 5:
- Mix 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of the ClearJel starch with the 3/4 cup of sugar in a large saucepan. Add 1 cup of water or juice and heat on the stove until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Then add the 3 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, stirring constantly
- Step 6:
- Combine the liquid with the strawberries.
- Fold the berries into the hot liquid gently.
- Step 7:
- Fill the sterilized jars* with strawberry filling.
- Fill to within 1 inch from the top.
- Wipe any spilled strawberry filling off the top.
- Place on the lid and tighten the band.
- Step 8:
- Process the filled jars in a water bath canner.
- Put filled jars in canner.
- Keep the jars covered with at least 1 inch of boiling water.
- Process for 30 minutes.
- Step 9:
- Remove the jars and cool, undisturbed overnight.
- Store cooled jars in cupboard.
How to Sterilize Jars in the Oven
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
Arrange jars, lids and bands on a
baking sheet, leave space between them
for the hot air to circulate.
Place baking sheets in preheated oven.
Set timer to 10 minutes.
(Leave oven door closed while jars are heating)
Turn oven off and leave jars, lids and bands in oven
to keep them warm until ready your ready to fill.
When ready to fill with strawberry pie filling,
remove jars from oven and fill.