On the Menu Today~
Melanzane Alla Parmigiana
This is a typical Italian provincial dish.
Perfect as a luncheon dish and
one of my favorite ways to eat
1 1/2 tablespoons
finely chopped onion
3 (8 oz) cans
1 1/2 teaspoons
dried basil leaves
1 large (about 1 1/2 pounds)
eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups
seasoned dry bread crumbs
mozzarella cheese, sliced
grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Make Tomato Sauce:
- In hot oil in a small saucepan, saute onion until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and salt; simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Pare eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Mix together the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Dip slices into lightly beaten eggs, then dip into bread crumb mixture, coating completely.
- Meanwhile, slowly heat 1/2 cup oil in a large skillet. Saute eggplant slices, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Add more oil as needed. Drain eggplant slices well on paper towels.
- In a 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish, layer half of the eggplant slices, top with half of the tomato sauce mixture, and half of the mozzarella cheese slices. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
Until Next Time~