Melanzane Alla Parmigiana is a typical Italian provincial dish. Perfect as a luncheon dish and one of my favorite ways to eat eggplant. When fresh eggplant is in season in your area, keep this delicious recipe in mind. Served with a small salad and fresh buttered Italian bread, you’ll have a meatless meal your whole family will love. They’ll ask you time and time again to make it.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons
finely chopped onion
- 3 (8 oz) cans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon
dried basil leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 1 large (about 1 1/2 pounds)
eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups
seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 pound
mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 tablespoons
grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Make Tomato Sauce:
- In hot oil in a small saucepan, saute onion until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and salt; simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Pare eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Mix together the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Dip slices into lightly beaten eggs, then dip into bread crumb mixture, coating completely.
- Meanwhile, slowly heat 1/2 cup oil in a large skillet. Saute eggplant slices, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Add more oil as needed. Drain eggplant slices well on paper towels.
- In a 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish, layer half of the eggplant slices, top with half of the tomato sauce mixture, and half of the mozzarella cheese slices. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.