We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie
What makes this coconut cream pie the “ultimate” pie? That’s easy. Listen to the list of ingredients and you’ll know why it’s called the Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie. This pie is a coconut lovers dream come true.
Has It All
This Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie has it all. Cream filled vanilla sandwich cookies (Oreo) crushed and mixed with butter and coconut. Coconut-custard filling made with canned coconut milk, half & half, eggs, more sweetened flaked coconut and coconut extract. The whipped topping is made with heavy whipping cream, sugar and more coconut extract. Right before serving, slices of coconut cream pie are topped with the laced whipped topping and sprinkled with toasted coconut! Like I said, a coconut lovers dream come true:)
The Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie
- Coconut Crust
- 15 cream filled vanilla sandwich cookies
finely crushed, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup
sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 6 tablespoons
- Toasted Coconut Topping
- 1/2 cup
- Coconut Custard Filling
- 1 1/2 cups canned
coconut milk (shake can well)
- 1 1/2 cups
half and half
- 5 egg
- 3/4 cup
- 4 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups
sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
coconut extract (or vanilla)
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 cup
chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon
- Heat oven to 350°
- Spread 1 cup coconut on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Watch coconut carefully.
- Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Combine all crust ingredients, firmly press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely.
Make Custard Filling
- Pour coconut milk and half & half into a liquid measuring cup. Add egg yolks and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk egg and milk mixture together, slowly begin to add to the sugar/cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly. Bring custard mixture to a boil. Continue stirring constantly with a spoon. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, add butter, coconut, vanilla and salt. Stir well. Pour custard filling into cooled coconut cookie crust.
- Cover pie loosely with saran wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until custard is set.
Make Whipped Cream
- Chill a large glass bowl and beaters from an electric mixer in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Pour chilled whipping cream into chilled bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar and coconut extract if using.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Serve slices of pie with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut.