On the Menu Today~
Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie~
This Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie has it all…..
Coconut-custard filling made with coconut milk,
Coconut-whipped cream and
- Coconut Crust
15 cream filled vanilla sandwich cookies
finely crushed, about 1 1/2 cups
sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Toasted Coconut Topping
- Coconut Custard Filling
1 1/2 cups canned
coconut milk (shake can well)
1 1/2 cups
half and half
sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Coconut Whipped Cream
chilled heavy whipping cream
1 to 2 tablespoons
coconut extract, optional
- Heat oven to 350°
- Spread 1 cup coconut on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Watch coconut carefully.
- Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Combine all crust ingredients, firmly press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely.
Make Custard Filling
- Pour coconut milk and half & half into a liquid measuring cup. Add egg yolks and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk egg and milk mixture together, slowly begin to add to the sugar/cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly. Bring custard mixture to a boil. Continue stirring constantly with a spoon. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, add butter, coconut, vanilla and salt. Stir well. Pour custard filling into cooled coconut cookie crust.
- Cover pie loosely with saran wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until custard is set.
Make Whipped Cream
- Chill a large glass bowl and beaters from an electric mixer in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Pour chilled whipping cream into chilled bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar and coconut extract if using.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
Serve immediately with pie.
Serve slices of pie with
coconut whipped cream and