On the Menu Today~
Cheese Curd Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pane Turano Italian Bread with
Thick-cut Slices of Wisconsin Hickory Smoked Bacon,
Wisconsin Butterkäse cheese,
Deep-fried Wisconsin Cheese Curds and
Wisconsin Honey Goat Cheese
Having lived in America’s Dairyland my whole life,
I thought the name “The Dairyland”
would be an appropriate name for my
Grilled Cheese Sandwich made with all
of my Wisconsin Favorites.
Creamy Wisconsin Butter,
Thick Slices of Hickory Smoked Wisconsin Bacon,
Velvety Wisconsin Butterkäse cheese,
Sun-Ripened Sun-Dried Tomatoes,
Deep-Fried, Beer-battered Wisconsin Cheese Curds
Wisconsin Honey Goat Cheese.
pano turano Italian bread
butter, room temperature
butterkase cheese (about 4 x 6 inch squares)
4 slices, thick cut,
hickory-smoked bacon, fried until crisp
10 to 12
sun-ripened, sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
12 to 14
honey goat cheese
- Make deep fried cheese curds:
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil in a deep cast iron skillet to 375º
- In a medium bowl, whisk together beaten egg, 1 tablespoon oil and beer.
- In a separte medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to egg/beer mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Drop a few cheese curds into batter. Using a fork, toss to coat curds. Drop a few curds at a time into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes or until golden brown. Remove curds with a long handled wire mesh strainer. Drain curds on paper towels, season with salt if desired.
- Start to assemble sandwich:
- Butter one side of sliced bread with 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Place buttered side down in a cold skillet.
- Lay slices of Butterkäse cheese on bread cutting cheese to fit bread, if necessary.
- Lay slices of bacon on top of cheese.
- Top bacon with drained, sun-ripened, sun-dried tomatoes.
- Lay cheese curds on top of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Carefully spread honey goat cheese on remaining slice of bread.
- Place bread, goat cheese side down on top of cheese curds in pan.
- Lightly butter slice of bread with remaining 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Place frying pan on burner, heat pan over medium heat. Grill sandwich over medium heat until golden brown. Carefully flip sandwich over.
- Grill until sandwich is golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.