- 12 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar for coating
- Slice off both ends of the lemons.
- Insert a very sharp, small knife between the peel and the membrane that hugs the flesh, about 1/4-inch deep. Work the knife all the way around the ends of the lemons. Repeat with the other lemons.
- Cut each piece of lemon peel lengthwise into 2 to 4 strips. Lay each strip, peel side down on a cutting board. With a very sharp small knife, sliver off as much of the pith as you can, don’t worry about getting it all.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of cold water to a simmer. Add the peel to the simmering water in the saucepan, simmer for 2 minutes and drain. Repeat this process two more times, using fresh cold water each time. (Blanching will remove the bitterness of the pith)
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, the sugar syrup should be clear before the syrup reaches a simmer. Add the triple blanched lemon peel to the sugar syrup. Simmer gently for about 1 hour. The peel should be translucent and tender.
- To test, lift a piece of peel from the syrup mixture, let cool slightly, then sample. If you can easily bite through the peel, it’s done. If not, simmer until peel is tender and test again after about 15 minutes. When the peel is tender, remove peel from syrup with a fork or tongs.
- Lay peel on a wire rack set over a sided baking sheet. Let cool completely, then let dry for several hours.
- In a small bowl, add 2 cups sugar. Add a few pieces of lemon peel at a time to the sugar, toss the lemon peel in sugar to coat.
- Set on a clean, wire rack to completely dry.
- Store in the refrigerator for several weeks in an airtight container.
Candied Lemon Peel
from tea to cocktails.
Candied lemon peel adds a lemony zing to:
Bread, muffins and cake recipes
Dip one end of the candied lemon peel into melted chocolate,
for an extra special treat
Add candied lemon peel to anything that
needs an extra burst of lemony flavor
Reserve lemons for another use or
Juice the lemons using a juicer,
Pour juice into ice cube trays
Freeze until firm
Remove frozen juice from ice cube trays
Place cubes in a freezer baggies and
Freeze for another use.